Some of the ways to preserve the essence of tradition with modern culture are as follows:
- Integrating traditional teachings and values into modern educational methods and technologies, such as using online learning platforms and mobile apps to supplement traditional classroom instruction.
- Emphasizing the importance of critical thinking and independent reasoning in Islamic education to help students understand and appreciate the underlying principles of Islamic teachings.
- Involving Islamic scholars and leaders in guiding and shaping the future of Islamic education to ensure that programs and curriculum align with traditional teachings and values.
- Incorporating the study of classical texts such as the Quran and Hadith into the curriculum to preserve tradition and gain a deeper understanding of the original context of these texts, and how their understanding can be applied today.
- Promoting the Islamic tradition of seeking knowledge (Ar. – Ilm) by encouraging independent learning and research and providing students with the necessary resources and support.
- Embracing modern innovation through interdisciplinary learning, which encourages critical and creative thinking across different subject areas and fosters a more holistic understanding of the world.
- Balancing traditional and modern elements in Islamic education to create an educational system that is both rooted in tradition and prepared for the future.
- Using online meetings with Islamic scholars, leaders, and educators to mentor young people during their process of learning to navigate the obstacles of the modern world.
- Preserving Islamic tradition while embracing modern innovation in Muslim education is essential for preparing students to meet the challenges of the modern world while staying true to their Islamic values and beliefs.
By adopting the methods suggested above, Muslim educators can succeed in their goal of preserving the Deen (religion) in the Age of Distraction. In embracing the opportunities put forward by modern advances, and framing the traditional wisdoms which have been passed down for centuries in a mode which suits today’s challenges. By doing this, it will empower our young people to keep the traditional understanding of Islam alive, and pass it on in their turn to the generations to come.